Advanced Improvisors Course
"Somehow, being away from home frees you up from the usual hangups about your own playing and makes you more willing to experiment. I learnt a lot of important principles here that stay with me today. Burned into my memory are visions of late night jams and french wine."
This option is for the more experienced student and offers a progression from the Main Course and similar courses. It is open to all instrumentalists including rhythm section players.
Dates: 10 - 17 August 2018
Tutors: Omar Puente, Simon Purcell and Julian Siegel
To enhance and deepen course members' understanding of contemporary approaches to playing jazz and improvisational skills.
• contemporary approaches to jazz improvisation
• repertoire - non-standard song forms
• contemporary approaches to melody, harmony and rhythm
• interactive rhythm section
• devising effective approaches to practising jazz improvisation
• small and larger group workshops
• active listening and reflection workshop
• specialist instrument tutorials
• directed practice time
• daily workshop performance
• evening club
• final concert to the public
• student-led rehearsals