International Cuban Music School Course Details
The course is an excellent hands on introduction to Cuban music. The teaching team of Sierra McGuinness and Sierra Maestra is excellent. It was wonderful to be able to go out in the evenings and hear top class bands playing what we were aspiring to, and to enjoy the convivial company of course participants and organisers.
The International Cuban Music Course is open to players of all instruments and singers of all experience levels. We also welcome non-players who would like to join our musical experience.
Date: Saturday 9th - Saturday 16th February 2019
Course Director: Clive Fenner
Course Tutor: Omar Puente
(For more information on Omar Puente visit www.omarpuente.com
An introduction to performing traditional and contemporary Cuban music:-
• the history of Cuban music
• an introduction to key styles of Cuban music
• rhythm in Cuban music - for all instruments and singers
• harmony in Cuban music
• song form and structure in Cuban music
• singing in Cuban music
• improvisation in Cuban music
• performing Cuban music
Activities will include
• pre-course listening and playing
• small group workshops
• specialist instrument workshops for percussion, voice, piano, front-line
• evening performances and 'jam'
• end of week performance
• visits to top music venues in Havana
• time to visit Havana and beyond